by Melinda Kirk Stenger, Pet Lifestyle Expert
I am so excited to welcome May into our lives and say hello to all of our Spring flowers coming up everywhere. Our yard is looking so colorful with all the young buds coming up and just in time for Mother’s Day! It doesn’t matter if you are a mom to human kids or K9 kids, we are going to honor you with a brunch you won’t forget. This month I will walk you through how to make “Crustless Canine Quiche.” Sharing is caring and this brunch inspired dish can be enjoyed by both you and your dogs!
Yes, your pampered pooches can eat this human dish, but without things like salt, pepper, onions, and in small servings. This quiche has so much natural flavor that you won’t need to add anything else. However, if you just have to add salt and pepper, then add it to yours only.
One way I like to differentiate my quiche from Bella’s is to make hers in a mini muffin pan and make mine in a larger muffin pan. This helps in two ways. She gets smaller portions and—if I added something to mine that is not healthy for her—I can easily tell by the size of the quiche which one is hers versus mine. One more hint, you can use dill from your cabinet, but like to use fresh dill because we now have it growing in our herb garden (thank you Jerry!)
So let’s get cooking!
Crustless Canine Quiche
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Serves: Six canines and six humans.
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dill
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh baby spinach (regular leaves won’t fit into the small muffin pans)
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray both pans (mini and regular muffin pans) with a non-stick coating.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, dill, thyme, and turmeric together until eggs are light and fluffy.
- Fold in spinach last.
- Slowly pour mixture into mini muffin pan (about 1 tablespoon per serving).
- Pour remaining mixture into regular muffin pan.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Place both pans into the oven, cooking the mini pan for 15 minutes and the regular pan for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. When cool remove from pan using a tablespoon to scoop it out.
MELINDA KIRK STENGER is CEO of Lucky Paws, LLC and creator of the award-winning PetCakes & YumYum Bones, healthy cake and ice cream for dogs and cats. Melinda has been cooking for over 20 years for her fur babies and sells thousands of dog and cat birthday kits a month on Amazon.com and Chewy.com.