by Melinda Kirk Stenger, Pet Lifestyle Expert
The Dog Days of Summer have arrived and it’s HOT! I mean really HOT! The I can’t even take my Bella on errands kind of hot. Yes, August is officially here and these are the last few weeks to be wet and wild poolside before the school year begins. Summer break is winding down, but are you really ready for back to school? Well your K-9 kids will be ready with this month’s recipe because what says “back to school” more than Peanut Butter and Jelly! And you’re welcome—no oven needed!
NO Bake PB&J Thumbprint Cookies
- ¼ Cup Peanut Butter (organic preferred)
- 3 Tablespoons canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filler)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 ¼ Cup Oats (gluten free preferred)
- Dog-friendly Strawberry Jelly
- ½ cup chopped & pureed strawberries with 2 teaspoons honey added (I use my Nutri Bullet blender to puree these 2 ingredients)
- Combine first 3 ingredients (peanut butter, pumpkin & cinnamon) until well blended, then fold in Oats.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out mixture and roll into a ball & place onto small baking sheet (or into a cake pop container).
- Use your thumb to create an indentation in the center of the ball.
- Add the pureed strawberries to the center.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes or freeze for 5 minutes then serve.
- Yields 12 cookies.
- Store in air-tight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or for 2 months in the freezer.
- Use these cookies as inexpensive “pill-pockets” for your fur babies who take medications.
Neither Melinda nor CincyPet Magazine are veterinary experts and as such you should always consult your vet before introducing anything new into your pet’s diet.