It’s getting colder and all the leaves are falling, which means the holidays are just around the corner. At this time of year, I inherently start reminiscing about all that has happened in the past year, and I focus on intentional gratitude and actually list all the reasons I am thankful. Of course at the top of that list are my dogs.
Our animals live relatively short lives but give us a hundred percent of their unconditional love, which is why they deserve the very best life possible. What better way to show them your love than by cooking for them?
This month I went canine-crazy to create a holiday dinner complete with turkey, sweet potatoes, and even “pupkin” pie! So, while you are eating your deep-fried turkey, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie, your furry friends can enjoy their own fido-friendly Thanksgiving dinner.
Recipes Your Dog Will Thank You For
Sweet Puptato & Turkey Mutt Muffins (makes 12)
- ½ pound organic ground turkey
- ½ cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup gluten-free granola
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Spray muffin pan with nonstick coating.
- Scoop about 1.5 tablespoons of the mixture into each section of the muffin pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove, let cool, and serve.
PUPkin Pies (makes 2 mini pies)
Pie Crust Ingredients
- PetCakes Pumpkin Spice mix
- 2.5 tablespoons warm water
Pie Crust Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Mix both ingredients and form into a dough ball.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the dough until thin.
- Use a round cookie cutter (4.5″ in diameter) to create 2 round cutouts and a mini bone-shaped cookie cutter to create 2–4 bones.
- Spray 2 mini pie pans with nonstick coating. Place round cutouts into each pan and mold to form.
- Place pie pans and bones onto a flat cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes and let cool.
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Filling Instructions
- Combine all ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Refrigerate the filling while the pie crusts bake to make it thicker.
- Evenly spoon the mixture into the baked and cooled pie crusts and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, add the bone cookies on top, cut, and serve.
MELINDA KIRK STENGER is CEO of Lucky Paws, LLC and creator of the award-winning PetCakes & YumYum Bones, healthy cake and ice cream for dogs and cats. Melinda has been cooking for over 20 years for her fur babies and sells thousands of dog and cat birthday kits a month on Amazon.com and Chewy.com. She is the author of the canine culinary cookbook Brunch & Bitches.