In honor of National Dog Day this week, I am going to walk you through how to make, bake and decorate cakes for your K9 kids. Your pups will be the envy of the block when you share these cakes with your “nosy” neighbors, because they are gluten free, super healthy, and tail wagging delicious!
We are officially announcing our new rescue puppy, Zeke, into our family with this cake. As you can see by the pictures he LOVES it! I am sure your fur babies will love it too! We would love to see your “nailed it” version, so please post your photos on social media and tag @iLovePetCakes and @CincyPetMag
You will need: a large bowl, mixer/beaters, 9” pan or bone-shaped pan, frosting bag with tips (or large sandwich bag.)
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon arrow root powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup yogurtn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray pan generously with non-stick coating.
- Combine all ingredients until well blended.
- Pour mix into pan and tap pan onto counter until evenly dispersed.
- Place pan onto center rack and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely.
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese (plain)
- 1 tablespoon honey
All Natural Colored Frosting Ideas (or use organic food coloring)
- Red/Pink—Beet powder
- Mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Divide into half and fill a pasty bag or large sandwich bag with the white frosting.
- Add food coloring to the other half of the frosting and fill a second pastry bag or sandwich bag with the colored frosting.
- Frost entire cake with white frosting and decorate with colored frosting. (To decorate with colored frosting in a sandwich bag, clip tip of bag and squeeze frosting in a clockwise swirl fashion.)
- Top with decorations.
Kibble | Blueberries | Grated cheese |Unsweetened coconut flakes | Shredded carrots
MELINDA KIRK STENGER is CEO of Lucky Paws, LLC and creator of the award-winning PetCakes & YumYum Bones, healthy cake and ice cream for dogs and cats. Melinda has been cooking for over 20 years for her fur babies and sells thousands of dog and cat birthday kits a month on Amazon.com and Chewy.com. She is the author of the canine culinary cookbook Brunch & Bitches.