Founded in 1873, the SPCA Cincinnati has a long history of service to the Greater Cincinnati community. Originally founded as the Ohio Humane Society, it was the first organization of its kind in Ohio. In 1907, the name was changed to The Hamilton County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and is currently DBA as the SPCA Cincinnati.
The SPCA Cincinnati IS your hometown Humane Society, AND HAS BEEN SINCE 1873. We are the problem solvers for everything animal-related from pet adoptions to vaccination clinics. We provide care for any animals that come to the shelter: food, medical needs, exercise, enrichment, and affection to get them ready to go to their new homes. We do all we can to support people so that pet surrender is a last resort, such as providing pet food donations for those under financial strain and behavioral training. We are the pet placement experts locally and across our nation. We partner with other “People” social service agencies to keep pets within their current homes and to improve their quality of life. We value innovative educational techniques to keep pets at home, to enrich shelter life, to promote humane treatment of all animals and prevent pet overpopulation.
The SPCA Cincinnati is an open admissions shelter for Hamilton County residents only. Breed groups, rescues, and other organizations are welcome to participate as placement partners to help find homes for some harder to place animals. If interested, please call 513-541-6100.
More and more animals keep coming into our shelter and we would like to save more lives. Community education is a key component of our ongoing effort to save more lives.
- 100% of adoptable dogs receive a rabies vaccination.
- We are FLEA AND TICK FREE! 100% of dogs and cats receive flea/tick prevention.
- 100% of adoptable dogs are on heartworm preventative medication.
- We microchip every adopted animal for permanent identification.
- We have dramatically increased the number of adoptions by reducing fees.
- We collaborate with key local media outlets to focus attention on adopting shelter pets.
- We provide dog training and an animal behavior hotline.
- We encourage responsible pet ownership
- We are involved in humane issues at the local, state, and national level.
- We communicate with every adopter to ensure that health and behavior are sound
- We dispatch our mobile adoption units to communities throughout the region to increase adoptions.
More about the SPCA Cincinnati...
SPA Cincinnati to hold 25th annual fundraising telethon in February.
Several area organizations offer special programs to adopt out senior pets to seniors looking to share their golden years with a four-legged friend.
The SPCA Cincinnati takes in approximately 23 dogs just arriving to the US from S. Korea, as part of rescue efforts with the Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International!
SPCA Cincinnati’s annual Halloween costume contest and charity walk goes virtual.
SPCA Rescue Dog Overcomes the Odds One animal that has changed our lives at the SPCA Cincinnati is Phoenix. She has a story of survival! When Phoenix first arrived in the emergency room, veterinarians thought she was a goner. But, after twelve minutes of CPR, Phoenix had a heartbeat. Severely emaciated, she was barely able to lift her head. She had sores all over and was too weak to even keep her body at a normal temperature. But Phoenix always had a spark in her eyes. She never gave up, so we never gave up on her, and fought hard