by Melinda Stenger, Pet Lifestyle Expert
March into St. Patrick’s Day this year with your furry friends. Your lucky dogs will think they won the pot of gold when you treat them to these tail-wagging treats.
Clovers for Rovers is a shamrock-shaped, healthy cookie recipe that you can make just for Fido. And guess what…the plant-based green color comes from broccoli!
You will need: a clover cookie cutter, baking sheet with parchment paper, medium bowl, small pot, blender or small food processor (like a Bullit), and spatula
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 15 cookies
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus extra for rolling out)
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a small pot, add the broccoli and water. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes or until cool.
- Pour contents into blender and purée broccoli with water.
- In a bowl combine flour, oats, egg, and pureed broccoli. Mix well then form into a ball. This will be sticky.
- Place the ball into a plastic baggy and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Prep counter with extra flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out the ball of dough until flat.
- Using the cookie cutter, cutout clover-shaped cookies until all dough has been used.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from oven and cool before serving.
Neither Melinda nor CincyPet Magazine are veterinary experts and as such, you should always consult your vet before introducing anything new into your pet’s diet.