Due to COVID-19, the SPCA Cincinnati is adjusting its adoption process beginning Wednesday, May 6, 2020 their facilities will be open for adoptions by appointment only. The public will not be able to enter the shelter for general viewing, remaining in compliance with ‘social distancing’ mandates by state government.
If you are interested in adopting, follow these steps:
- Visit spcacincinnati.org for up-to-date information on available pets for adoption.
- Complete an online application indicating the animal ID # of the pet of interested.
- Wait 24 to 48 hours for SPCA to contact you with pet introduction information.
- Once approved, visit the shelter for your scheduled appointment within 3-5 days.
What are the requirements of an adopter?
- Must be 18-years-old or older.
- Must provide valid driver’s license or government issue ID.
- Provide a $20 application fee for dogs & $5 application fee for cats.
- Must sign adoption contract.
Applications are considered in the order in which they are received. The SPCA will attempt to contact potential adopters to set up an appointment up to three times in a 24-hour period. If they are unable to contact someone they will move on to the next applicant. The goal is to perform adoptions in the shortest amount of time!
The actual adoption process typically lasts 10-15 minutes. Everyone in the adopter’s household (including current pets) is encouraged to meet the animal at the shelter. Adopters are required to provide their own masks, which must be worn at all times. During the visit, adopters will spend quality time getting to know the animal and deciding if the pet is a match for their home. Animals will be prepared to go home the same day of the appointment when the match is confirmed! In keeping with the desire to limit visits, SPCA Cincinnati expects adopters be prepared to take the animal home the same day. If the adoption is not completed, the fee will be considered a donation and will be used for the direct care of pets in the SPCA’s care. Adoptions cannot be finalized over the phone or online.